Re: [RFC summary] Enable Coherent Device Memory

On Wed 17-05-17 19:56:35, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 10:15 +0100, Mel Gorman wrote:
[...]
> > Fine -- hot add the memory from the device via a userspace trigger and
> > have the userspace trigger then setup the policies to isolate CDM from
> > general usage.
>
> This is racy though. The memory is hot added, but things can get
> allocated all over it before it has time to adjust the policies. Same
> issue we had with creating a CMA I believe.

memory hotplug is by definition 2 stage. Physical hotadd which just
prepares memory blocks and allocates struct pages and the memory online
phase. You can handle the policy part from the userspace before onlining
te first memblock from your CDM NUMA node.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs