8 Gigabytes and constantly swapping

I've been building the Linus git head kernels as the source gets updated and the one built about 3 hours ago managed to get stuck with kswapd0 as the highest consumer of CPU cycles (but still under 1 percent) of processes listed by top for over 15 minutes, after which I hit the power switch and rebooted with a Debian 4.11.0 kernel.

The previous kernel built less than 24 hours earlier did not have this problem.

CPU is an Athlon64 (Athlon II X4, 4 cores), RAM is 8GiB, swap is 4GiB, load was mainly firefox and chromium. Opening a new window in chromium seemed to help trigger the problem.

It's not much information to go on, just wondered if anyone else had experienced similar issues?

I'm happy to supply more configuration information and run tests including with kernels built with test patches applied.

Arthur.