Re: [patch] mm: skip rebalance of hopeless zones

On 12/08/2010 05:19 PM, Andrew Morton wrote:

presumably in certain cases that's a bit more efficient than doing the
scan and using ->all_unreclaimable.  But the scanner shouldn't have got
stuck!  That's a regresion which got added, and I don't think that new
code of this nature was needed to fix that regression.

Did this zone end up with ->all_unreclaimable set?  If so, why was
kswapd stuck in a loop scanning an all-unreclaimable zone?

IIRC kswapd does not get stuck, but the page allocator
keeps waking it up. That also results in near 100% CPU use.

Also, if I'm understanding the new logic then if the "goal" is 100
pages and zone_reclaimable_pages() says "50 pages potentially
reclaimable" then kswapd won't reclaim *any* pages.  If so, is that
good behaviour?  Should we instead attempt to reclaim some of those 50
pages and then give up?  That sounds like a better strategy if we want
to keep (say) network Rx happening in a tight memory situation.

Actually, given the number of reports on how the VM keeps
trying to hard and the system stalls for minutes before an
OOM kill happens, giving up earlier is probably the right
thing to do.

--
All rights reversed