Re: [RFC 0/4] RFC - Coherent Device Memory (Not for inclusion)

On Mon, 2017-05-01 at 13:41 -0700, John Hubbard wrote:
> On 04/19/2017 12:52 AM, Balbir Singh wrote:
> > This is a request for comments on the discussed approaches
> > for coherent memory at mm-summit (some of the details are at
> > https://lwn.net/Articles/717601/). The latest posted patch
> > series is at https://lwn.net/Articles/713035/. I am reposting
> > this as RFC, Michal Hocko suggested using HMM for CDM, but
> > we believe there are stronger reasons to use the NUMA approach.
> > The earlier patches for Coherent Device memory were implemented
> > and designed by Anshuman Khandual.
> >

> Hi Balbir,
>
> Although I think everyone agrees that in the [very] long term, these
> hardware-coherent nodes probably want to be NUMA nodes, in order to decide what to
> code up over the next few years, we need to get a clear idea of what has to be done
> for each possible approach.
>
> Here, the CDM discussion is falling just a bit short, because it does not yet
> include the whole story of what we would need to do. Earlier threads pointed this
> out: the idea started as a large patchset RFC, but then, "for ease of review", it
> got turned into a smaller RFC, which loses too much context.

Hi, John

I thought I explained the context, but I'll try again. I see the whole solution
as a composite of the following primitives:

1. Enable hotplug of CDM nodes
2. Isolation of CDM memory
3. Migration to/from CDM memory
4. Performance enhancements for migration

The RFC here is for (2) above. (3) is handled by HMM and (4) is being discussed
in the community. I think the larger goals are same as HMM, except that we
don't need unaddressable memory, since the memory is cache coherent.

> So, I'd suggest putting together something more complete, so that it can be fairly
> compared against the HMM-for-hardware-coherent-nodes approach.

Since I intend to reuse bits of HMM, I am not sure if I want to repost those
patches as a part of my RFC. I hope my answers make sense, the goal is to
reuse as much of what is available. From a user perspective

1. We see no new interface being added in either case, the programming model
would differ though
2. We expect the programming model to be abstracted behind a user space
framework, potentially like CUDA or CXL

> > Jerome posted HMM-CDM at https://lwn.net/Articles/713035/.
> > The patches do a great deal to enable CDM with HMM, but we
> > still believe that HMM with CDM is not a natural way to
> > represent coherent device memory and the mm will need
> > to be audited and enhanced for it to even work.
>
> That is also true for the CDM approach. Specifically, in order for this to be of any
> use to device drivers, we'll need the following:

Since Reza answered these questions, I'll skip them in this email

Thanks for the review!
Balbir Singh