Re: [RFC] calc_memmap_size() isn't accurate and one suggestion to improve

On Tue 28-03-17 09:11:37, Wei Yang wrote:
> Hi, masters,
>
> # What I found
>
> I found the function calc_memmap_size() may not be that accurate to get the
> pages for memmap.
>
> The reason is:
>
> > memmap is allocated on a node base,
> > while the calculation is on a zone base
>
> This applies both to SPARSEMEM and FLATMEM.
>
> For example, on my laptop with 6G memory, all the memmap space is allocated
> from ZONE_NORMAL.

Please try to be more specific. Why is this a problem? Are you trying to
fix some bad behavior or you want to make it more optimal?

I am sorry I didn't look closer into your proposal but I am quite busy
and other people are probably in a similar situation. If you want to get
a proper feedback please try to state the problem and be explicit if it
is user observable.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs