Re: How to favor memory allocations for WQ_MEM_RECLAIM threads?

On Fri 03-03-17 19:48:30, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> Continued from http://lkml.kernel.org/r/201702261530.JDD56292.OFOLFHQtVMJSOF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :
>
> While I was testing a patch which avoids infinite too_many_isolated() loop in
> shrink_inactive_list(), I hit a lockup where WQ_MEM_RECLAIM threads got stuck
> waiting for memory allocation. I guess that we overlooked a basic thing about
> WQ_MEM_RECLAIM.
>
>   WQ_MEM_RECLAIM helps only when the cause of failing to complete
>   a work item is lack of "struct task_struct" to run that work item, for
>   WQ_MEM_RECLAIM preallocates one "struct task_struct" so that the workqueue
>   will not be blocked waiting for memory allocation for "struct task_struct".
>
>   WQ_MEM_RECLAIM does not help when "struct task_struct" running that work
>   item is blocked waiting for memory allocation (or is indirectly blocked
>   on a lock where the owner of that lock is blocked waiting for memory
>   allocation). That is, WQ_MEM_RECLAIM users must guarantee forward progress
>   if memory allocation (including indirect memory allocation via
>   locks/completions) is needed.
>
> In XFS, "xfs_mru_cache", "xfs-buf/%s", "xfs-data/%s", "xfs-conv/%s", "xfs-cil/%s",
> "xfs-reclaim/%s", "xfs-log/%s", "xfs-eofblocks/%s", "xfsalloc" and "xfsdiscard"
> workqueues are used, and all but "xfsdiscard" are WQ_MEM_RECLAIM workqueues.
>
> What I observed is at http://I-love.SAKURA.ne.jp/tmp/serial-20170226.txt.xz .
> I guess that the key of this lockup is that xfs-data/sda1 and xfs-eofblocks/s
> workqueues (which are RESCUER) got stuck waiting for memory allocation.

If those workers are really required for a further progress of the
memory reclaim then they shouldn't block on allocation at all and either
use pre allocated memory or use PF_MEMALLOC in case there is a guarantee
that only very limited amount of memory is allocated from that context
and there will be at least the same amount of memory freed as a result
in a reasonable time.

This is something for xfs people to answer though. Please note that I
didn't really have time to look through the below traces so the above
note is rather generic. It would be really helpful if you could provide
a high level dependency chains to see why those rescuers are necessary
for the forward progress because it is really easy to get lost in so
many traces.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs