Re: Query on per app memory cgroup

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 4:46 PM, Vinayak Menon <vinmenon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We were trying to implement the per app memory cgroup that Johannes
> suggested (https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/12/19/358) and later discussed during
> Minchan's proposal of per process reclaim

Per app memory cgroups are interesting, but also quite aggressive. Could
you please describe what tasks/workload you have?

> (https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/6/13/570). The test was done on Android target
> with 2GB of RAM and cgroupv1. The first test done was to just create per
> app cgroups without modifying any cgroup controls. 2 kinds of tests were
> done which gives similar kind of observation. One was to just open
> applications in sequence and repeat this N times (20 apps, so around 20
> memcgs max at a time). Another test was to create around 20 cgroups and
> perform a make (not kernel, another less heavy source) in each of them.
>
> It is observed that because of the creation of memcgs per app, the per
> memcg LRU size is so low and results in kswapd priority drop. This results
> in sudden increase in scan at lower priorities. Because of this, kswapd
> consumes around 3 times more time (and thus less pageoutrun), and due to
> the lag in reclaiming memory direct reclaims are more and consumes around
> 2.5 times more time.

That does not sound good! Have you been able to test this with older
kernels to see if this is a regression?

> Another observation is that the reclaim->generation check in
> mem_cgroup_iter results in kswapd breaking the memcg lru reclaim loop in
> shrink_zone (this is 4.4 kernel) often. This also contributes to the
> priority drop. A test was done to skip the reclaim generation check in
> mem_cgroup_iter and allow concurrent reclaimers to run at same priority.
> This improved the results reducing the kswapd priority drops (and thus time
> spent in kswapd, allocstalls etc). But this problem could be a side effect
> of kswapd running for long and reclaiming slow resulting in many parallel
> direct reclaims.
>
> Some of the stats are shown below
>                             base        per-app-memcg
>
> pgalloc_dma                 4982349     5043134
>
> pgfree                      5249224     5303701
>
> pgactivate                  83480       117088
>
> pgdeactivate                152407      1021799
>
> pgmajfault                  421         31698
>
> pgrefill_dma                156884      1027744
>
> pgsteal_kswapd_dma          128449      97364
>
> pgsteal_direct_dma          101012      229924
>
> pgscan_kswapd_dma           132716      109750
>
> pgscan_direct_dma           104141      265515
>
> slabs_scanned               58782       116886
>
> pageoutrun                  57          16
>
> allocstall                  1283        3540
>

> After this, offloading some of the job to soft reclaim was tried with the
> assumption that it will result in lesser priority drops. The problem is in
> determining the right value to be set for soft reclaim. For e.g. one of the
> main motives behind using memcg in Android is to set different swappiness
> to tasks depending on their importance (foreground, background etc.). In
> such a case we actually do not want to set any soft limits. And in the
> second case when we want to use soft reclaim to offload some work from
> kswapd_shrink_zone on to mem_cgroup_soft_limit_reclaim, it becomes tricky
> to set the soft limit values. I was trying out with different percentage of
> task RSS for setting soft limit, but this actually results in excessive
> scanning by mem_cgroup_soft_limit_reclaim, which as I understand  is
> because of always using scan priority of 0. This in turn increases the time
> spent in kswapd. It reduces the kswapd priority drop though.

Soft limit setting can be tricky, but my advise is to set it based on how much
you see a particular cgroup using when the system is under memory pressure.

> Is there a way to mitigate this problem of small lru sizes, priority drop
> and kswapd cpu consumption.

I've not investigated or heard of this problem before, so I am not
sure if I have
a solution for you.

Balbir