Re: PCID review?

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Quite a few people have expressed interest in enabling PCID on (x86)
> Linux.  Here's the code:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/luto/linux.git/log/?h=x86/pcid
>
> The main hold-up is that the code needs to be reviewed very carefully.
> It's quite subtle.  In particular, "x86/mm: Try to preserve old TLB
> entries using PCID" ought to be looked at carefully to make sure the
> locking is right, but there are plenty of other ways this this could
> all break.
>
> Anyone want to take a look or maybe scare up some other reviewers?
> (Kees, you seemed *really* excited about getting this in.)

Nadav pointed out that this doesn't work right with
ARCH_WANT_BATCHED_UNMAP_TLB_FLUSH.  Mel, here's the issue:

I want to add ASID (Intel calls it PCID) support to x86.  This means
that "flush the TLB on a given CPU" will no longer be a particularly
well defined operation because it's not clear which ASID tag to flush.
Instead there's "flush the TLB for a given mm on a given CPU".

If I'm understanding the batched flush code, all it's trying to do is
to flush more than one mm at a time.  Would it make sense to add a new
arch API to flush more than one mm?  Presumably it would take a linked
list, and the batched flush code would fall back to flushing in pieces
if it can't allocate a new linked list node when needed.

Thoughts?