Re: [LSF/MM ATTEND] 2017 userfaultfd-WP, node reclaim vs zone compaction, THP

On 01/12/2017 11:26 AM, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to attend this year LSF/MM summit. Some topics of my interest
> would be:
>
> 1) userfaultfd WP and soft-dirty interaction (i.e. obsolete
>    soft-dirty). Arch-dependent changes are required for this: from
>    one-more VM_FAULT_RETRY in a row to be returned by handle_mm_fault,
>    to a special bit in pagetable and swap entry, very similarly to
>    what soft dirty has been doing.
>
>    The main rationale to eventually obsolete soft-dirty is that
>    userfaultfd WP won't require O(N) pagetable scans to find out which
>    pages got dirty (where N is the number of pagetables mapping the
>    region to be monitored, not the number of pages that got
>    dirty). userfaultfd will have the same runtime cost regardless of
>    the size of the area to be monitored for writes, similar to PML
>    (Page Modification Logging) feature in the CPU for VMX.
>
>    soft-dirty is also triggering write protect faults, the only
>    advantage it has for some usage (which is a disadvantage for other
>    usages like database/KVM live snapshotting) is it's asynchronous,
>    but userfaultfs can also add an asynchronous feature mode later by
>    allocating and queuing up uffd messages, instead of blocking the
>    tasks.
>
>    If there's interested I could also summarize the current
>    userfaultfd status with hugetlbfs/shmem/non-cooperative support
>    currently merged in -mm.

I would be interested in the WP discussion as well.  When adding hugetlbfs
support to userfaultfd, I briefly looked at the state of WP code and the
interaction with soft dirty.  It would be good to discuss these general issues.

--
Mike Kravetz