Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM TOPIC] I/O error handling and fsync()

On Mon, 2017-01-23 at 11:09 +0100, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> Am 23.01.2017 um 01:21 hat Theodore Ts'o geschrieben:
> > On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 06:31:57PM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > >
> > > Ahh, sorry if I wasn't clear.
> > >
> > > I know Kevin posed this topic in the context of QEMU/KVM, and I figure
> > > that running virt guests (themselves doing all sorts of workloads) is a
> > > pretty common setup these days. That was what I meant by "use case"
> > > here. Obviously there are many other workloads that could benefit from
> > > (or be harmed by) changes in this area.
> > >
> > > Still, I think that looking at QEMU/KVM as a "application" and
> > > considering what we can do to help optimize that case could be helpful
> > > here (and might also be helpful for other workloads).
> >
> > Well, except for QEMU/KVM, Kevin has already confirmed that using
> > Direct I/O is a completely viable solution.  (And I'll add it solves a
> > bunch of other problems, including page cache efficiency....)
>
> Yes, "don't ever use non-O_DIRECT in production" is probably workable as
> a solution to the "state after failed fsync()" problem, as long as it is
> consistently implemented throughout the stack. That is, if we use a
> network protocol in QEMU (NFS, gluster, etc.), the server needs to use
> O_DIRECT, too, if we don't want to get the same problem one level down
> the stack. I'm not sure if that's possible with all of them, but if it
> is, it's mostly just a matter of configuring them correctly.

It's actually not necessary with NFS. O_DIRECT I/O is entirely a client-
side thing. There's no support for it in the protocol (and there doesn't
really need to be).

If something happens and the server crashed before the writes were
stable, then I believe the client will reissue them.

If both the client and server crash at the same time, then all bets are
off of course. :)

> However, if we look at the greater problem of hanging requests that came
> up in the more recent emails of this thread, it is only moved rather
> than solved. Chances are that already write() would hang now instead of
> only fsync(), but we still have a hard time dealing with this.

Well, it _is_ better with O_DIRECT as you can usually at least break out
of the I/O with SIGKILL.

When I last looked at this, the problem with buffered I/O was that you
often end up waiting on page bits to clear (usually PG_writeback or
PG_dirty), in non-killable sleeps for the most part.

Maybe the fix here is as simple as changing that?
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>