Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC/ATTEND] Memory Types

On 01/16/2017 02:59 AM, Anshuman Khandual wrote:
On 01/16/2017 10:59 AM, Dave Hansen wrote:
Historically, computers have sped up memory accesses by either adding
cache (or cache layers), or by moving to faster memory technologies
(like the DDR3 to DDR4 transition).  Today we are seeing new types of
memory being exposed not as caches, but as RAM [1].

I'd like to discuss how the NUMA APIs are being reused to manage not
just the physical locality of memory, but the various types.  I'd also
like to discuss the parts of the NUMA API that are a bit lacking to
manage these types, like the inability to have fallback lists based on
memory type instead of location.

I believe this needs to be a distinct discussion from Jerome's HMM
topic.  All of the cases we care about are cache-coherent and can be
treated as "normal" RAM by the VM.  The HMM model is for on-device
memory and is largely managed outside the core VM.

Agreed. In future core VM should be able to deal with these type of
coherent memory directly as part of the generic NUMA API and page
allocator framework. The type of the coherent memory must be a factor
other than NUMA distances while dealing with it from a NUMA perspective
as well from page allocation fallback sequence perspective. I have been
working on a very similar solution called CDM (Coherent Device Memory)
where we change the zonelist building process as well mbind() interface
to accommodate a different type of coherent memory other than existing
normal system RAM. Here are the related postings and discussions.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/10/24/19 (CDM with modified zonelists)
https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/11/22/339 (CDM with modified cpusets)

Though named as "device" for now, it can very well evolve into a generic
solution to accommodate all kinds of coherent memory (which warrants
them to be treated at par with system RAM in the core VM in the first
place). I would like to attend to discuss this topic.

Yes. I'm also very interested in working through a clear way to describe memory, and use it, for CDM, NUMA devices, and HMM situations.

I agree that hardware-based memory coherence should be a major dividing line, as Anshuman mentions above. So for non-coherent memory, something very like HMM still has to exist...or so I believe, in the absence of seeing any better ideas. (16 proposed versions of HMM have gone by, and still no better ideas yet, so it's probably about right.)

We also need to work through the memory hot plug questions, and the pfn and struct pages questions: avoiding conflicts with real physical memory. I'm still hoping for something like "just put the device struct pages above the physical limit for CPU struct pages", but I approximately recall that there were a few CPU arch's that didn't like that (might be mis-remembering that point).

Beyond that, there is also: whether a CPU or device should move pages around, or map pages. That's often a fairly dynamic (runtime) question, depending on both the machine layout (there are a *lot* of subtle variations, and more are coming), and the workload.

Furthermore, similar questions apply to memory that can be shared peer-to-peer. So far, both those points are handled in device drivers, but as the kernel becomes more aware of high-speed, page-fault-capable remote devices, we may want to move some of this into the main kernel.

Also, as Anshuman pointed out in another thread, these topics go together (although it's unlikely to fit into a single hour, so maybe a couple of slots is better):

(1) [LSF/MM TOPIC/ATTEND] Memory Types
(2) [LSF/MM TOPIC] Un-addressable device memory and block/fs implications
(3) [LSF/MM TOPIC] Memory hotplug, ZONE_DEVICE, and the future of struct page
(4) [LSF/MM ATTEND] HMM, CDM and other infrastructure for device memory management

I'm interested in all of the above.

thanks
John Hubbard
NVIDIA