Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Memory hotplug, ZONE_DEVICE, and the future of struct page

On 01/13/2017 04:13 AM, Dan Williams wrote:
> Back when we were first attempting to support DMA for DAX mappings of
> persistent memory the plan was to forgo 'struct page' completely and
> develop a pfn-to-scatterlist capability for the dma-mapping-api. That
> effort died in this thread:
>
>     https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/8/14/3
>
> ...where we learned that the dependencies on struct page for dma
> mapping are deeper than a PFN_PHYS() conversion for some
> architectures. That was the moment we pivoted to ZONE_DEVICE and
> arranged for a 'struct page' to be available for any persistent memory
> range that needs to be the target of DMA. ZONE_DEVICE enables any
> device-driver that can target "System RAM" to also be able to target
> persistent memory through a DAX mapping.
>
> Since that time the "page-less" DAX path has continued to mature [1]
> without growing new dependencies on struct page, but at the same time
> continuing to rely on ZONE_DEVICE to satisfy get_user_pages().
>
> Peer-to-peer DMA appears to be evolving from a niche embedded use case
> to something general purpose platforms will need to comprehend. The
> "map_peer_resource" [2] approach looks to be headed to the same
> destination as the pfn-to-scatterlist effort. It's difficult to avoid
> 'struct page' for describing DMA operations without custom driver
> code.
>
> With that background, a statement and a question to discuss at LSF/MM:
>
> General purpose DMA, i.e. any DMA setup through the dma-mapping-api,
> requires pfn_to_page() support across the entire physical address
> range mapped.
>
> Is ZONE_DEVICE the proper vehicle for this? We've already seen that it
> collides with platform alignment assumptions [3], and if there's a
> wider effort to rework memory hotplug [4] it seems DMA support should
> be part of the discussion.

I had experimented with ZONE_DEVICE representation from migration point of
view. Tried migration of both anonymous pages as well as file cache pages
into and away from ZONE_DEVICE memory. Learned that the lack of 'page->lru'
element in the struct page of the ZONE_DEVICE memory makes it difficult
for it to represent file backed mapping in it's present form. But given
that ZONE_DEVICE was created to enable direct mapping (DAX) bypassing page
cache, it came as no surprise. My objective has been how ZONE_DEVICE can
accommodate movable coherent device memory. In our HMM discussions I had
brought to the attention how ZONE_DEVICE going forward should evolve to
represent all these three types of device memory.

* Unmovable addressable device memory   (persistent memory)
* Movable addressable device memory     (similar memory represented as CDM)
* Movable un-addressable device memory  (similar memory represented as HMM)

I would like to attend to discuss on the road map for ZONE_DEVICE, struct
pages and device memory in general.