Re: [LSF/MM ATTEND] HMM, CDM and other infrastructure for device memory management

On 01/11/2017 09:52 AM, John Hubbard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to attend this topic that Jerome has proposed. Studying the
> kernel is a deep personal interest in addition to my career focus, and it
> would be a rare privilege to work directly with some of you to converge
> on some nice, clean designs for the kernel and these "new"
> (page-fault-capable) devices that we have now. Here's what I can bring to
> the discussion:
>
> a) An NVIDIA perspective on, and experience with, using the HMM patchset,
> versions 1-15, at the device driver level. In addition to working on the
> nvidia-uvm.ko driver (which handles CPU and GPU page faulting) since its
> inception, I've also helped develop and maintain various facets of our GPU
> device driver for Linux, for the last 9 years.
>
> As a semi-relevant aside, our company is allocating engineering time,
> including mine, for long-term kernel projects such as this one. We want to
> participate in maintaining and improving the kernel. I find that highly
> encouraging and I hope others do, too. Times really are changing.
>
> b) Some thoughts about the dividing line between core kernel and drivers.
> Our device drivers are starting to push the limits of what drivers should
> really do (we are heading perhaps too deeply into memory management), and
> of course I want to avoid going too far. For example, I've seen
> recent comments on linux-mm that drivers shouldn't even take mmap_sem,
> which is intriguing. We need to provide...something for that, though.
>
> c) Some thoughts about dealing with both HMM and ATS in the same driver
> (our devices have to support both--although, not at the same time).
>
> --
>
> For this discussion track, I'm especially interested in simultaneously
> considering:
>
> 1. HMM (Jerome's Heterogeneous Memory Management patchset): this solves a
> similar problem as ATS (Address Translation Services: unified CPU and
> Device page tables), but without the need for specialized hardware. There
> is a bit of overlap between the HMM and ATS+NUMA patchsets, as has been
> discussed here before.
>
> 2. IBM's ATS+NUMA patchset.
>
> 3. Page-fault-capable devices in general.

Initially thought there would be a single common discussion TOPIC for all of
the "device memory management infrastructure" but seems like its getting
split into multiple TOPICs. Hence I am trying to sign up for all them
individually.