[LSF/MM TOPIC] Optimizations for swap sub-system

We have some swap related topics we'll like to discuss
at mm summit.  We'll like to get everyone's opinions
to guide future swap related work that we have in mind.

1. DAX swap -
For swap space on very fast solid state block devices, the swapped
pages can be accessed directly using DAX mechanism without
incurring the overhead to allocate a page in RAM and swap them
in.  The direct access swap space should speed things up in
many cases.  One remaining issue is if the pages are accessed
frequently, we may still need to promote them back to RAM.  We’ll
like to discuss several possible approaches and their pros and
cons to see what is the most viable:
  (i) Using performance monitoring unit to measure the access frequency
  (ii) Extend the LRU list to such DAX swap space
  (iii) A page scanning daemon

2. Improving Swap Read Ahead -
The current swap read ahead is done in the same order that the
pages are swapped out.  However, the order of page access may
have no relations with the order that the pages are accessed,
especially for sequential memory access.  We’ll like to discuss
detection mechanism for sequential memory access and using a VMA
based read ahead for such case.

3. Improving Swap out path -
Optimization of the swap out paths by reducing the contentions
on the locks on swap device, radix tree by introducing finer
grained lock on cluster, splitting up the radix tree and getting
swap pages and releasing swap pages in batches.  We'll like to
address any issues if our proposed patchset has not been
merged by the time of mm summit.

4. Huge Page Swapping -
Now, the transparent huge page (THP) will be split before swapping
out and collapsed back to THP after swapping in.  This will waste
CPU cycles and reduce effectiveness (utilization) of THP.  To resolve
these issue, we propose to avoid splitting THP during swap out/in.
At the same time, this give us the opportunity to further optimize
the performance of THP swap out/in with large read/write size and
reduced TLB flushing etc. to take advantage of the new high speed
storage device.

Thanks.

Ying Huang & Tim Chen