Re: __GFP_REPEAT usage in fq_alloc_node

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 7:20 AM, Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Eric,
I am currently checking kmalloc with vmalloc fallback users and convert
them to a new kvmalloc helper [1]. While I am adding a support for
__GFP_REPEAT to kvmalloc [2] I was wondering what is the reason to use
__GFP_REPEAT in fq_alloc_node in the first place. c3bd85495aef
("pkt_sched: fq: more robust memory allocation") doesn't mention
anything. Could you clarify this please?

Thanks!

[1] http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20170102133700.1734-1-mhocko@kernel.org
[2] http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20170104181229.GB10183@dhcp22.suse.cz
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs

At the time, tests on the hardware I had in my labs showed that vmalloc() could deliver pages spread
all over the memory and that was a small penalty (once memory is fragmented enough, not at boot time)

I guess this wont be anymore a concern if I can finish my pending work about vmalloc() trying to get adjacent pages
Thanks.