Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] plans for future swap changes

On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 01:40:24AM -0500, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 03:57:32PM +0100, Michal Hocko wrote:
> > This is something I would be interested to discuss even though I am not
> > working on it directly. Sorry if I hijacked the topic from those who
> > planned to post them.
> >
> > It seems that the time to reconsider our approach to the swap storage is
> > come already and there are multiple areas to discuss. I would be
> > interested at least in the following
> > 1) anon/file balancing. Johannes has posted some work already and I am
> >    really interested in the future plans for it.
>
> They needed some surgery to work on top of the node-LRU rewrite. I've
> restored performance on the benchmarks I was using and will post them
> after some more cleaning up and writing changelogs for the new pieces.
>
> > 2) swap trashing detection is something that we are lacking for a long
> >    time and it would be great if we could do something to help
> >    situations when the machine is effectively out of memory but still
> >    hopelessly trying to swap in and out few pages while the machine is
> >    basically unusable. I hope that 1) will give us some bases but I am
> >    not sure how much we will need on top.
>
> Yes, this keeps biting us quite frequently. Not with swap so much as
> page cache, but it's the same problem: while we know all the thrashing
> *events*, we don't know how much they truly cost us. I've started
> drafting a thrashing quantification patch based on feedback from the
> Kernel Summit, attaching it below. It's unbelievably crude and needs
> more thought on sampling/decaying, as well as on filtering out swapins
> that happen after pressure has otherwise subsided. But it does give me
> a reasonable-looking thrashing ratio under memory pressure.
>
> > 3) optimizations for the swap out paths - Tim Chen and other guys from
> >    Intel are already working on this. I didn't get time to review this
> >    closely - mostly because I am not closely familiar with the swapout
> >    code and it takes quite some time to get into all subtle details.
> >    I mainly interested in what are the plans in this area and how they
> >    should be coordinated with other swap related changes
> > 4) Do we want the native THP swap in/out support?
>
> Shaohua had some opinions on this, he might be interested in joining
> this discussion. CCing him.

Sure, I'm very interested in the topic. I'm pretty interested in reducing swap
latency and making the latency more predictable. I had some random ideas and
did some experiments before (no real patch though, sorry), like io poll for
swapin, reduce reclaim batch count in direct page reclaim, and a flush-like
proactive swapout and so on.

Thanks,
Shaohua