memory.force_empty is deprecated

Hello,

I'm Zhaohui from IBM Spectrum LSF development team. I got below message when running LSF on SUSE11.4, so I would like to share our use scenario and ask for the suggestions without using memory.force_empty.

memory.force_empty is deprecated and will be removed. Let us know if it is needed in your usecase at linux-mm@xxxxxxxxx

LSF is a batch workload scheduler, it uses cgroup to do batch jobs resource enforcement and accounting. For each job, LSF creates a cgroup directory and put job's PIDs to the cgroup.

When we implement LSF cgroup integration, we found creating a new cgroup is much slower than renaming an existing cgroup, it's about hundreds of milliseconds vs less than 10 milliseconds.
To speed up job clean up, when a job is done, LSF doesn't delete the cgroup, instead, LSF reset the memory usage by setting memory.force_empty to "0". The subsequent job will rename the cgroup name and reuse it.

If memory.force_empty will be removed, how to achieve the same goal?

Looking forward for you reply.

Thanks & Regards,

Zhaohui Ding (丁肇辉), Ph.D
Senior Product Architect, IBM Platform LSF Product Line
IBM China Systems and Technology Laboratory in Beijing
Addr: Building 28, ZhongGuanCun Software Park, No.8 Dong Bei Wang West Road
Office : (86-10) 82450903   Mobile : (86) 186-1198-2179