Re: CONFIG_VMAP_STACK, on-stack struct, and wake_up_bit

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 03:09:41PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 3:03 PM, Mel Gorman <mgorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > To be clear, are you referring to PeterZ's patch that avoids the lookup? If
> > so, I see your point.
>
> Yup, that's the one. I think you tested it. In fact, I'm sure you did,
> because I remember seeing performance numbers from  you ;)

Yeah and the figures were fine. IIRC, 32-bit support was the main thing
that was missing but who cares, 32-bit is not going to have the NUMA issues
in any way that matters.

> So yes, I'd expect my patch on its own to quite possibly regress on
> NUMA systems (although I wonder how much),

I doubt it's a lot. Even if it does, it's doesn't matter because it's a
functional fix.

> but I consider PeterZ's
> patch the fix to that, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Agreed. Peter, do you plan to finish that patch?

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs