Re: More OOM problems (sorry fro the mail bomb)

On 09/29/2016 08:12 AM, Raymond Jennings wrote:
On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 00:04:58 -0700
Raymond Jennings <shentino@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would like to apologize to everyone for the mailbombing.  Something
went screwy with my email client and I had to bitchslap my installation
when I saw my gmail box full of half-composed messages being sent out.

FWIW, I apparently didn't receive any.

For the curious, by the by, how does kcompactd work?  Does it just get
run on request or is it a continuous background process akin to
khugepaged?  Is there a way to keep it running in the background
defragmenting on a continuous trickle basis?

Right now it gets run on request. Kswapd is woken up when watermarks get between "min" and "low" and when it finishes reclaim and it was a high-order request, it wakes up kcompactd, which compacts until page of given order is available. That mimics how it was before when kswapd did the compaction itself, but I know it's not ideal and plan to make kcompactd more proactive.