Re: OOM killer changes

On 08/26/2016 10:35 AM, Michal Hocko wrote:
On Thu 25-08-16 13:35:04, Ralf-Peter Rohbeck wrote:
[...]
Sorry, the tag was next-20160823; I called the branch linux-next-20160823.

Yeah that is the tag I was looking for but the linux-next is quite
volatile and if you do not fetch the particular tag it won't exist in
leter trees. Anyway, I have set up a branch oom-playground in my tree
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mhocko/mm.git which which
is on top of the current up-to-date mmotm tree + revert of the quick
workaround which you have already tested (thanks for that!) and with
the Vlastimil's patch which was dropped due to workaround.

This is missing the patch that introduced ignoring pageblock suitability for the highest compaction priority [1].

AFAIU this
is what you have previously tested without OOM but later on still
managed to hit OOM again.

I think the test also didn't include the patch [1] due to some confusion. I think I'll just resend everything (in a new thread) for testing on top of latest mmotm git.

[1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=147158805719821

Which would suggest we are still not there
and need to investigate further. I have some ideas what to do but I
would appreciate if we can confirm this status before we try new things.

Thanks!