[QUESTION] mmap of device file with huge pages

Hello everyone

I am trying mmap  kernel buffers associated with a device file (like /dev/mem) using huge pages.

I couldn’t find any mechanism to do this.

On the kernel side I allocate a contiguous 2M buffer using alloc_pages.

A regular mmap with MAP_HUGETLB flag will only accept anonymous mappings or hugetlbfs files but not device files.

So, I think I need to make sure the mapping uses huge pages in my device file’s mmap hook.

Usually these kind of mmap fops use remap_pfn_range but I couldn’t find a way to make remap_pfn_range use huge pages.

I also tried to make Transparent huge pages recognize the mapping done with remap_pfn_range and collapse them to a huge page but that didn’t work. Not sure why

I would appreciate any advice on this issue

Thanks !

Yehuda Yitschak

Marvell Semiconductor Ltd.