Re: System freezes after OOM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016, David Rientjes wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2016, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
>
> > David Rientjes wrote:

> > > It prevents the whole system from livelocking due to an oom killed process
> > > stalling forever waiting for mempool_alloc() to return.  No other threads
> > > may be oom killed while waiting for it to exit.
> >
> > Is that concern still valid? We have the OOM reaper for CONFIG_MMU=y case.
> >

> Umm, show me an explicit guarantee where the oom reaper will free memory
> such that other threads may return memory to this process's mempool so it
> can make forward progress in mempool_alloc() without the need of utilizing
> memory reserves.  First, it might be helpful to show that the oom reaper
> is ever guaranteed to free any memory for a selected oom victim.

The function mempool_alloc sleeps with "io_schedule_timeout(5*HZ);"

So, if the oom reaper frees some memory into the page allocator, the
process that is stuck in mempoo_alloc will sleep for up to 5 seconds, then
it will retry the allocation with "element = pool->alloc(gfp_temp,
pool->pool_data)" (that will allocate from the page allocator) and succed.

Mikulas