Re: JITs and 52-bit VA

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 10:53:50AM -0400, Christopher Covington wrote:
> +Andy, Cyrill, Dmitry who have been discussing variable TASK_SIZE on x86
> on linux-mm
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=146290118818484&w=2

What about, by default, keep applications within known-to-be-safe VA size
and require explicit opt-in for larger one.

The opt-in can be provided in few forms: personality()/prctl() or ELF flag.

I think it's reasonable to set the large-VA ELF flag for newly compiled
binaries (unless specified otherwise). So they can benefit from larger VA
size, but existing binaries woundn't break.
I believe we had something similar for non-executable stack transition.

--
 Kirill A. Shutemov