Re: Xfs lockdep warning with for-dave-for-4.6 branch

On Wed 18-05-16 11:49:52, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 10:25:39AM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Fair enough; if the mm folks don't object to 'wasting' a GFP flag on
> > > this the below ought to do I think.
> >
> > GFP flag space is quite scarse.
>
> There's still 5 or so bits available, and you could always make gfp_t
> u64.

It seems we have some places where we encode further data into the same
word as gfp_mask (radix tree tags and mapping_flags). From a quick
glance they should be OK even with __GFP_BITS_SHIFT increased to 27 but
this tells us that we shouldn't consume them without a good reason.

> > Especially when it would be used only
> > for lockdep configurations which are mostly disabled. Why cannot we go
> > with an explicit disable/enable API I have proposed?
>
> It has unbounded scope. And in that respect the GFP flag thingy is wider
> than I'd like too, it avoids setting the state for all held locks, even
> though we'd only like to avoid setting it for one class.
>
> So ideally we'd combine the GFP flag with the previously proposed skip
> flag to only avoid marking the one class while keeping everything
> working for all other held locks.

This is definitely your call but I would prefer starting with something
simple and extend it when we find out that the scope/gfp opt-out hides
real bugs or it is insufficient for other reasons. I do not this opt out
to be used much, quite contrary. We do not hear about false positives
reclaim lockdep lockups very often - except for very complex reclaim
implementations which are quite uncommon.

Thanks!
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs