Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Ideas for SLUB allocator

On Tue, 2016-04-12 at 11:01 -0500, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
>
> > I have some ideas for improving SLUB allocator further, after my
> > work
> > on implementing the slab bulk APIs.  Maybe you can give me a small
> > slot, I only have 7 guidance slides.  Or else I hope we/I can talk
> > about these ideas in a hallway track with Christoph and others
> > involved
> > in slab development...
>
> I will be there.
>
> > I've already published the preliminary slides here:
> >  http://people.netfilter.org/hawk/presentations/MM-summit2016/slab_
> > mm_summit2016.odp
>
> Re Autotuning: SLUB obj per page:
> 	SLUB can combine pages of different orders in a slab cache so
> this would
> 	be possible.
>
> per CPU freelist per page:
> 	Could we drop the per cpu partial lists if this works?
>
> Clearing memory:
> 	Could exploit the fact that the page is zero on alloc and also
> zap
> 	when no object in the page is in use?

Between the SLUB things both of you want to
discuss, do you think one 30 minute slot will
be enough to start with, or should we schedule
a whole hour?

We have some free slots left on the second day,
where discussions can overflow if necessary.

--
All rights reversed