Re: [Lsf] [LSF/MM TOPIC] Ideas for SLUB allocator

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 12:02:15PM +0200, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> Hi Rik,
>
> I have another topic, which is very MM-specific.
>
> I have some ideas for improving SLUB allocator further, after my work
> on implementing the slab bulk APIs.  Maybe you can give me a small
> slot, I only have 7 guidance slides.  Or else I hope we/I can talk
> about these ideas in a hallway track with Christoph and others involved
> in slab development...
>
> I've already published the preliminary slides here:
>  http://people.netfilter.org/hawk/presentations/MM-summit2016/slab_mm_summit2016.odp

The current bulk API returns the pointers in an array.  What the
radix tree would like is the ability to bulk allocate from a slab and
chain the allocations through an offset.  See __radix_tree_preload()
in lib/radix-tree.c.  I don't know if this is a common thing to do
elsewhere in the kernel.  Obviously, radix-tree could allocate the array
on the stack and set up the chain itself, but I would think it would be
just as easy for slab to do it itself and save the stack space.