Re: kswapd consumes 100% CPU when highest zone is small

On Thu 03-03-16 10:23:03, Jerry Lee wrote:
> On 3 March 2016 at 01:36, Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Wed 02-03-16 14:20:38, Jerry Lee wrote:
[...]
> > > Is there anything I could do to totally get rid of the problem?
> >
> > I would try to sacrifice those few megs and get rid of zone normal
> > completely. AFAIR mem=4G should limit the max_pfn to 4G so DMA32 should
> > cover the shole memory.
> >

> I came up with a patch that seem to work well on my system.  But, I
> am afraid that it breaks the rule that all zones must be balanced for
> order-0 request and It may cause some other side-effect?  I thought
> that the patch is just a workaround (a bad one) and not a cure-all.

One thing I haven't noticed previously is that you are running on the 3.12
kernel. I vaguely remember there were some fixes for small zones. Not
sure it would work for such a small zone but it would be worth trying I
guess. Could you retest with 4.4?
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs