Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM TOPIC] Support for 1GB THP

On 03/01/2016 01:44 PM, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 11:25:41AM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
>> On Tue 01-03-16 02:09:11, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>>> There are a few issues around 1GB THP support that I've come up against
>>> while working on DAX support that I think may be interesting to discuss
>>> in person.
>>>
>>>  - Do we want to add support for 1GB THP for anonymous pages?  DAX support
>>>    is driving the initial 1GB THP support, but would anonymous VMAs also
>>>    benefit from 1GB support?  I'm not volunteering to do this work, but
>>>    it might make an interesting conversation if we can identify some users
>>>    who think performance would be better if they had 1GB THP support.
>>
>> Some time ago I was thinking about 1GB THP and I was wondering: What is the
>> motivation for 1GB pages for persistent memory? Is it the savings in memory
>> used for page tables? Or is it about the cost of fault?
>
> I think it's both.  I heard from one customer who calculated that with
> a 6TB server, mapping every page into a process would take ~24MB of
> page tables.  Multiply that by the 50,000 processes they expect to run
> on a server of that size consumes 1.2TB of DRAM.  Using 1GB pages reduces
> that by a factor of 512, down to 2GB.
>
> Another topic to consider then would be generalising the page table
> sharing code that is currently specific to hugetlbfs.  I didn't bring
> it up as I haven't researched it in any detail, and don't know how hard
> it would be.

Well, I have started down that path and have it working for some very
simple cases with some very hacked up code.  Too early/ugly to share.
I'm struggling a bit with fact that you can have both regular and huge
page mappings of the same regions.  The hugetlb code only has to deal
with huge pages.

--
Mike Kravetz