Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] THP, huge tmpfs, khugepaged

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to attend LSF/MM 2016.
>
> THP refcounting rework had been merged into v4.5 and I would like to
> discuss next steps on THP front.
>
> == huge tmpfs ==
>
> One of the topic would be huge tmpfs. Currently we have two alternative
> implementation of huge pages support in tmpfs:
>
>   - Hugh has implemented it on top of new way to couple pages together --
>     team pages. It's rather mature implementation which has been used in
>     production.
>
>   - I've implemented huge tmpfs on top of the same compound pages we use
>     for THP. It's still under validation and hasn't got proper review.
>     Few more iterations would be required to get it into shape.
>
> Supporting two parallel implementation of the same feature is wasteful.
> During the summit I would like to work out a consensus on what
> implementation fits upstream more.

I would of course like to participate in this discussion too,
if it works out to be a separate session from the Huge Page Futures
session already proposed by Mike Kravetz.

Though to judge from last year's experience, when I think neither
Kirill nor I managed to engage the "audience" very much, I suspect
we'll get more from our own face-to-face discussion and over email.

But I can very well understand that Kirill would like to give me
some kind of kick start, given that my contribution to that email
has been nil so far over the last year.

Hugh