Re: [RFC 0/2] New MAP_PMEM_AWARE mmap flag

On 02/24/2016 01:28 AM, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:15:34AM +0200, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
>> On 02/23/2016 11:47 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
>> <>
>>>
>>> i.e. what we've implemented right now is a basic, slow,
>>> easy-to-make-work-correctly brute force solution. That doesn't mean
>>> we always need to implement it this way, or that we are bound by the
>>> way dax_clear_sectors() currently flushes cachelines before it
>>> returns. It's just a simple implementation that provides the
>>> ordering the *filesystem requires* to provide the correct data
>>> integrity semantics to userspace.
>>>

>> Or it can be written properly with movnt instructions and be even
>> faster the a simple memset, and no need for any cl_flushing let alone
>> any radix-tree locking.
>
> Precisely my point - semantics of persistent memory durability are
> going to change from kernel to kernel, architecture to architecture,
> and hardware to hardware.
>
> Assuming applications are going to handle all these wacky
> differences to provide their users with robust data integrity is a
> recipe for disaster. If applications writers can't even use fsync
> properly, I can guarantee you they are going to completely fuck up
> data integrity when targeting pmem.
>
>> That said your suggestion above is 25%-100% slower than current code
>> because the cl_flushes will be needed eventually, and the atomics of a
>> lock takes 25% the time of a full page copy.
>
> So what? We can optimise for performance later, once we've provided
> correct and resilient infrastructure. We've been fighting against
> premature optimisation for performance from teh start with DAX -
> we've repeatedly had to undo stuff that was fast but broken, and
> were not doing that any more. Correctness comes first, then we can
> address the performance issues via iterative improvement, like we do
> with everything else.
>
>> You are forgetting we are
>> talking about memory and not harddisk. the rules are different.
>
> That's bullshit, Boaz. I'm sick and tired of people saying "but pmem
> is different" as justification for not providing correct, reliable
> data integrity behaviour. Filesytems on PMEM have to follow all the
> same rules as any other type of persistent storage we put
> filesystems on.
>
> Yes, the speed of the storage may expose the fact that am
> unoptimised correct implementation is a lot more expensive than
> ignoring correctness, but that does not mean we can ignore
> correctness. Nor does it mean that a correct implementation will be
> slow - it just means we haven't optimised for speed yet because
> getting it correct is a hard problem and our primary focus.
>
> Cheers,

Cheers indeed. Only you failed to say where I have sacrificed correctness.
You are barging into an open door. People who knows me know I'm a sucker
for stability and correctness.
	YES!!! Correctness first! must call fsync!! No BUGS!!
You have no arguments with me on that.

You yourself said that the current dax_clear_sectors() *is correct* but
is doing cl_flushes and it could just be dirtying the radix-tree plus
regular memory sets. I pointed out that this is slower because the
performance  rules of memory are different from the performance rules of
block storage.

I never said anything about data correctness or transactions or data
placements. Did I?

And I agree with you. All the wacky details of pmem needs to hide under
a gcc ARCH specific library in a generic portable API way. And not trusted
to the app.

The API is real simple:

pmem_memcpy()
pmem_memset()
pmem_flush()

All the wacky craft is hidden under these basic three old C concepts.
For now they are written and implemented and tested under nvml soon
enough they can move to a more generic place.

> Dave.

Yes I usually do like to bulshit a lot in my personal life is lots of fun,
but not on Computers work, because Computers are boring I'd rather go dancing
instead. And bulshit is a waste of time. I do know what I'm doing and like you
I hate short cuts and complications and wacky code. I like correctness and stability.

Cheers indeed ;-)
Boaz