Re: [patch] arch: remove __GFP_REPEAT for order-0 allocations

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > > Why was __GFP_REPEAT used in those callsites?  What were people trying
> > > to achieve?
> > >

> > I can't predict what they were trying to achieve
>
> Using my super powers it took me all of three minutes.
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/old-2.6-bkcvs.git
>
> Do `git log > foo', and search foo for GFP_REPEAT.
>
> A couple of interesting ones are:

Ok, so __GFP_REPEAT was used to replace the open-coding of retry loops by
putting that logic into the page allocator, and that logic was
subsequently changed to tie the bit to how many pages were reclaimed and
retry iff we haven't reclaimed the number of pages needed (in my patch,
that would be a single page).

It also shows that the page allocator has infinitely looped for
allocations under PAGE_ALLOC_COSTLY_ORDER since your patch from over seven
years ago.

So, given the fact that the PAGE_ALLOC_COSTLY_ORDER logic has existed
since the same time, the semantics of __GFP_REPEAT have changed and are
often misrepresented, and we don't even invoke the __GFP_REPEAT logic for
any of the allocations in my patch since they are oom killable, I think my
patch should be merged.