Re: [RFC]mm: batch activate_page() to reduce lock contention

On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 05:30 +0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:59:10 +0800
> Shaohua Li <shaohua.li@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 04:03:18AM +0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > > This function is pretty bizarre.  It really really needs some comments
> > > explaining what it's doing and most especially *why* it's doing it.
> > >
> > > It's a potential O(n*nr_zones) search (I think)!  We demand proof that
> > > it's worthwhile!
> > >
> > > Yes, if the pagevec is filled with pages from different zones then it
> > > will reduce the locking frequency.  But in the common case where the
> > > pagevec has pages all from the same zone, or has contiguous runs of
> > > pages from different zones then all that extra bitmap fiddling gained
> > > us nothing.
> > >
> > > (I think the search could be made more efficient by advancing `i' when
> > > we first see last_zone!=page_zone(page), but that'd just make the code
> > > even worse).
> > Thanks for pointing this out. Then we can simplify things a little bit.
> > the 144 bytes footprint is because of this too, then we can remove it.
>
> ok..
>

> > > There's a downside/risk to this code.  A billion years ago I found
> > > that it was pretty important that if we're going to batch pages in this
> > > manner, it's important that ALL pages be batched via the same means.
> > > If 99% of the pages go through the pagevec and 1% of pages bypass the
> > > pagevec, the LRU order gets scrambled and we can end up causing
> > > additional disk seeks when the time comes to write things out.  The
> > > effect was measurable.
> > >
> > > And lo, putback_lru_pages() (at least) bypasses your new pagevecs,
> > > potentially scrambling the LRU ordering.  Admittedly, if we're putting
> > > back unreclaimable pages in there, the LRU is probably already pretty
> > > scrambled.  But that's just a guess.
> > ok, we can drain the pagevecs in putback_lru_pages() or add active page
> > to the new pagevecs.
>
> The latter I guess?
hi,
looks the lru_add_pvecs pagevecs is bypassed too in putback_lru_pages().
Assume the bypass doesn't has obvious impact? each pagevec stores 14
pages, it should be < 1/1000 total memory in typical systems. so I
wonder if we really need handle the active page pagevecs bypass.

Thanks,
Shaohua