Re: compaction: trying to understand the code

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Iram Shahzad
<iram.shahzad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> One question is, why kswapd won't proceed after isolating all the pages?
>> If it has done with the isolated pages, we'll see growing inactive_anon
>> numbers.
>>
>> /proc/vmstat should give more clues on any possible page reclaim
>> activities. Iram, would you help post it?
>
> I am not sure which point of time are you interested in, so I am
> attaching /proc/vmstat log of 3 points.
>
> too_many_isolated_vmstat_before_frag.txt
>  This one is taken before I ran my test app which attempts
>  to make fragmentation
> too_many_isolated_vmstat_before_compaction.txt
>  This one is taken after running the test app and before
>  running compaction.
> too_many_isolated_vmstat_during_compaction.txt
>  This one is taken a few minutes after running compaction.
>  To take this I ran compaction in background.
>
> Thanks
> Iram

Hmm.. Never happens reclaim. Strange.
In addtion, pgpgin is always 4.

pgpgin 4
pgpgout 0

Is it possible?
What kinds of filesystem do you use?
Do you boot from NFS?
Do your system have any non-mainline(ie, doesn't merged into linux
kernel tree) driver, file system or any feature?

Maybe your config file can answer this questions.
Thanks.
--
Kind regards,
Minchan Kim