Re: compaction: trying to understand the code

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Iram Shahzad
<iram.shahzad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Iram. How do you execute test_app?
>>
>> 1) synchronous test
>> 1.1 start test_app
>> 1.2 wait test_app job done (ie, wait memory is fragment)
>> 1.3 echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/compact_memory
>>
>> 2) asynchronous test
>> 2.1 start test_app
>> 2.2 not wait test_app job done
>> 2.3 echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/compact_memory(Maybe your test app and
>> compaction were executed parallel)
>
> It's synchronous.
> First I confirm that the test app has completed its fragmentation work
> by looking at the printf output. Then only I run echo 1 >
> /proc/sys/vm/compact_memory.
>
> After completing fragmentation work, my test app sleeps in a useless while
> loop
> which I think is not important.

Thanks. It seems to be not any other processes which is entering
direct reclaiming.
I tested your test_app but failed to reproduce your problem.
Actually I suspected some leak of decrease NR_ISOLATE_XXX but my
system worked well.
And I couldn't find the point as just code reviewing. If it really
was, Mel found it during his stress test.

Hmm.. Mystery.
Maybe we need some tracepoint to debug.
--
Kind regards,