Re: [patch 1/2] oom: avoid killing a task if a thread sharing its mm cannot be killed

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Oleg Nesterov wrote:

> > There's no other way to detect threads in other thread groups that share
> > the same mm since subthreads of a process can have an oom_score_adj that
> > differ from that process, this includes the possibility of
> > OOM_SCORE_ADJ_MIN that we're interested in here.
>
> Yes, you are right. Still, at least you can do
>
> 	for_each_process(p) {
> 		if (p->mm != mm)
> 			continue;
>
> to quickly skip the thread group which doesn't share the same ->mm.

Right, thanks.  I'll make that optimization and send out a second version
of this series with the other changes you suggested.

> > > oom_badness() becomes O(n**2), not good.
> > >

> > No, oom_badness() becomes O(n) from O(1); select_bad_process() becomes
> > slower for eligible tasks.
>
> I meant, select_bad_process() becomes O(n^2). oom_badness() is O(n), yes.

I'll follow my own suggestion for deferring this check to
oom_kill_process() since it's certainly an unusual case if the tasks are
sharing memory.  It'll require a second entire tasklist scan when it
occurs, but definitely speeds up the common case.

> > > And, more importantly. This patch makes me think ->oom_score_adj should
> > > be moved from ->signal to ->mm.
> > >

> > I did that several months ago but people were unhappy with how a parent's
> > oom_score_adj value would change if it did a vfork() and the child's
> > oom_score_adj value was changed prior to execve().
>
> I see. But this patch in essence moves OOM_SCORE_ADJ_MIN from ->signal
> to ->mm (and btw personally I think this makes sense).

Yes, and I still would have liked to embed it in struct mm_struct like I
originally proposed, but I understand how some people didn't care much for
the vfork() inheritance problem.  There are applications in the wild such
as job schedulers that are OOM_DISABLE themselves and fork children and
then reset their oom_adj value prior to exec.  So they do vfork() ->
change child's oom_adj -> execve().  That currently works since the
child's ->signal isn't shared (and before that, oom_adj was embedded in
struct task_struct) and we can't change that behavior to also change the
parent's oom_adj value at the same time because it shares an ->mm out from
under them.

Thanks for reviewing the patches Oleg!