Re: compaction: why depends on HUGETLB_PAGE

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:53:12AM +0900, Iram Shahzad wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have found that memory compaction (CONFIG_COMPACTION)
> is mainlined while looking at 2.6.35-rc5 source code.
> I have a question regarding its dependency on HUGETLB_PAGE.
>
> While trying to use CONFIG_COMPACTION on ARM architecture,
> I found that I cannot enable CONFIG_COMPACTION because
> it depends on CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE which is not available
> on ARM.
>
> I disabled the dependency and was able to build it.
> And it looks like working!
>
> My question is: why does it depend on CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE?

Because as the Kconfig says "Allows the compaction of memory for the
allocation of huge pages.". Depending on compaction to satisfy other
high-order allocation types is not likely to be a winning strategy.

> Is it wrong to use it on ARM by disabling CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE?

It depends on why you need compaction. If it's for some device that
requires high-order allocations (particularly if they are atomic), then
it's not likely to work very well in the long term.

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student                          Linux Technology Center