Re: [ATTEND][LSF/VM TOPIC] deterministic cgroup charging using file path

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 11:30 PM, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki
<kamezawa.hiroyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>> > that this move-charge shouldn't be done in lazy manner ?

>> > Thanks,
>> > -Kame
>>
>> This is an interesting approach.  I like the idea of minimizing kernel
>> changes.  I want to make sure I understand the idea using terms from
>> my above example.
>>
>> 1. The daemon establishes inotify() watches on /tmp/db and all sub
>> directories to catch any accesses.
>>
>> 2. If cg11(T1) is the first process to mmap a portion of a /tmp/db
>> file (pages_1) then cg11 will be charged.  T1 will not use madvise()
>> because cg11 does not want to be charged.  cg11 will be temporarily
>> charged for pages_1.
>>
> yes.
>
>> 3. inotify() will inform the proposed daemon that T1 opened /tmp/db,
>> so the daemon will use file_recharge, which runs the following within
>> the cg1 cgroup:
>> - fd = open("/tmp/db/.../path_to_file")
>> - va = mmap(NULL, size=stat(fd).st_size, fd)
>> - madvise(fd, va, st_size, MEMORY_RECHARGE_THIS_PAGES_TO_ME).  This
>> will move the charge of pages_1 from cg11 to cg1.
>>
>> Did I state this correctly?
>>
> yes.
>

>> I am concerned that the follow-on step does not move the pages to cg1:
>> 4. T1 then touches more /tmp/db pages (pages_2) using the same mmap.
>> This charges cg11.  I assume that inotify() would not notify the
>> daemon for this case because the file is still open.
> you're right.
>
>> So the pages will not be moved to cg1.  Or are you suggesting
>> that inotify() enhanced to advertise charge events?
>
> IIUC, now, inotify() doesn't support mmap. But it has read/write notification.
> So, let's think about mmapped pages.
>
> For easy implementation, I suggest file_recharge should map the whole file
> and move them all under it. But maybe this is an answer you want.
>
> If I write an _easy_ daemon, which will do...
>
> ==
>  register inotify and add watches.
>  The wathces will see OPEN and IN_DELETE_SELF.
>
>  run 2 threads.
>
> Thread1:
>  while(1) {
>      read() // check events from inotify.
>      maintain opened-file information.
>  }
>
> Thread2:
>  while (1) {
>      check opend-file information.
>      select a file // you may implement some scheduling, here.
>      open,
>      mmap
>      mincore() .... checks the file is cached.
>      madvice()
>      // if you want, touch pages and add Access bit to them.
>      close(),
>
>      sleep if necessary.
>  }
> ==
> batch-style cron-job rather than sleep will not be very bad for usual use.
> But we may need some interface to implement something clever algorithm.

I have to collect some data about expected usages of this feature.  I
will have more information tomorrow.  Depending on the how quickly the
charges need to be corrected or the number of opened files, this
daemon may end up doing a lot of polling to correct memory charges.

>> If the number of directories within /tmp/db is large, then inotify()
>> maybe expensive.  I don't think this is a problem.
>>
>> Another worry I have is that if for some reason the daemon is started
>> after the job, or if the daemon crashes and is restarted, then files
>> may have been opened and charged to cg11 without the inotify being
>> setup.
> yes.
>
>> The daemon would have problems finding the pages that were
>> charged to cg11 and need to be moved to cg1.  The daemon could scan
>> the open file table of T1, but any files that are no longer opened may
>> be charged to cg11 with no way for the daemon to find them.
>>

> Above thread-1 can maintain "opened-file" database.
> Or you can run a recovery-scirpt to open /proc/<xxxx>/fd of processes
> to trigger OPEN events.

If a file has been unlinked, then the OPEN events would need to scan
/proc/xxx/fd to find an open file handle to open.  This is probably a
corner case, but I wanted to mention it.

> But yes, some in-kernel approach may be required. as...new interface to memcg
> rather than madvise.
>
> /memory.move_file_caches
> - when you open this and write()/ioctl() file descriptor to this file,
>  all on-memory pages of files will be moved to this cgroup.

Are you suggesting that this move_file_caches interface would
associate the given file, dentry, or inode with the cgroup so that
future charges are charged to the intended cgroup?  Or (I suspect)
that the daemon would this need to be periodically use this routine to
correct any incorrect charges.

> Hmm...we may be able to add an interface to know last-pagecache-update time.
> (Because access-time is tend to be omitted at mount....)

Are you thinking that we could introduce a cgroup-wide attribute
(maybe a timestamp, or increasing sequence number, or even just a bit)
that would be set whenever a cgroup statistic (page cache usage in
this case) was updated?  This bit would be cleared whenever all needed
migrations occurred.  The daemon could poll this bit to know if any
migrations were needed.

Another aspect that I am thinking would have to be added to the daemon
would be oom handling.  If cg11 is charged for non-reclaimable files
(tmpfs) that belong to cg1, then the task may oom.  The daemon would
have to listen for oom and then immediately migration the charge from
cg11 to cg1 to lower memory pressure in cg11.

--
Greg