Re: [ATTEND][LSF/VM TOPIC] Stale Page Tracking

On 06/29/2010 08:25 PM, Ying Han wrote:
apologies if you got this email twice, the first emails seems not
getting through :(

This is the discussion we would like to have on the upcoming Linux VM
summit.

Problem:
Google runs large scale of machines and each machine runs Linux. We try
to achieve higher utilization by better bin-packing of jobs on existing
systems and for this we depend on having accurate resource usage
estimation. Linux VM subsystem is designed in a way that it tries to
allocate every single page available by filling up page cache pages.
Some of the pages might be touched once and never touched again. Pageout
deamon(kswapd) only evicts pages under memory pressure, so pages which
are actually stale will end up taking memory space. It would be nice to
have a way to measure the portion of working set for each process
periodically. A user-land resource management program can trigger
reclaim of the stale pages making room for packing more jobs any time.

Something like this functionality could also be useful for
virtualization, kicking off garbage collection in JVMs and
other runtimes, as well as resizing other workloads that
cache data...

I would like to discuss this topic so we can figure out
the kind of functionality needed to achieve what everybody
wants.

--
All rights reversed