Re: deterministic cgroup charging using file path

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Balbir Singh
<balbir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2010-06-28 11:03:27]:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:43:45 -0700
>> Greg Thelen <gthelen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > For the upcoming Linux VM summit, I am interesting in discussing the
>> > following proposal.
>> >
>> > Problem: When tasks from multiple cgroups share files the charging can be
>> > non-deterministic.  This requires that all such cgroups have unnecessarily high
>> > limits.  It would be nice if the charging was deterministic, using the file's
>> > path to determine which cgroup to charge.  This would benefit charging of
>> > commonly used files (eg: libc) as well as large databases shared by only a few
>> > tasks.
>> >
>> > Example: assume two tasks (T1 and T2), each in a separate cgroup.  Each task
>> > wants to access a large (1GB) database file.  To catch memory leaks a tight
>> > memory limit on each task's cgroup is set.  However, the large database file
>> > presents a problem.  If the file has not been cached, then the first task to
>> > access the file is charged, thereby requiring that task's cgroup to have a limit
>> > large enough to include the database file.  If the order of access is unknown
>> > (due to process restart, etc), then all cgroups accessing the file need to have
>> > a limit large enough to include the database.  This is wasteful because the
>> > database won't be charged to both T1 and T2.  It would be useful to introduce
>> > determinism by declaring that a particular cgroup is charged for a particular
>> > set of files.
>> >
>> > /dev/cgroup/cg1/cg11  # T1: want memory.limit = 30MB
>> > /dev/cgroup/cg1/cg12  # T2: want memory.limit = 100MB
>> > /dev/cgroup/cg1       # want memory.limit = 1GB + 30MB + 100MB
>> >
>> > I have implemented a prototype that allows a file system hierarchy be charge a
>> > particular cgroup using a new bind mount option:
>> > + mount -t cgroup none /cgroup -o memory
>> > + mount --bind /tmp/db /tmp/db -o cgroup=/dev/cgroup/cg1
>> >
>> > Any accesses to files within /tmp/db are charged to /dev/cgroup/cg1.  Access to
>> > other files behave normally - they charge the cgroup of the current task.
>> >

>> Interesting, but I want to use madvice() etc..for this kind of jobs, rather than
>> deep hooks into the kernel.
>>
>> madvise(addr, size, MEMORY_RECHAEGE_THIS_PAGES_TO_ME);
>>
>> Then, you can write a command as:
>>
>>   file_recharge [path name] [cgroup]
>>   - this commands move a file cache to specified cgroup.
>>
>> A daemon program which uses this command + inotify will give us much
>> flexible controls on file cache on memcg. Do you have some requirements
>> that this move-charge shouldn't be done in lazy manner ?

> I have not see the approach yet, but ideally one would want to avoid
> changing the application, otherwise we are going to get very tightly
> bound in the API issues.

I agree that changing the application is undesirable.  I think the
madvise suggestion (above) would not involve changing applications -
it would only be used for a manager daemon in response to a inotify as
a mechanism change the charge of previously allocated file pages.

> I want to understand why do we need bind mounts?

I'm not certain that bind mounts are needed.  I chose to use bind
mounts as a way to create a file system namespace that charged to a
particular cgroup.  There are other mechanisms.  Another approach
would be to have a way to dentry attribute (d_cgroup) that is
inherited by child dentrys.  I tend to prefer the bind mount over the
dentry approach because is reduces the number of cgroup references.
However, there may be even better ways.

> I think this needs more discussion.

I agree that more discussion is required.

--
Greg