Re: [patch -mm 01/18] oom: filter tasks not sharing the same cpuset

> On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 16:54:31 -0700 (PDT)
> David Rientjes <rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > > And I wonder if David has observed some problem which the 2010 change
> > > fixes!
> > >

> > Yes, as explained in my changelog.  I'll paste it:
> >
> > Tasks that do not share the same set of allowed nodes with the task that
> > triggered the oom should not be considered as candidates for oom kill.
> >
> > Tasks in other cpusets with a disjoint set of mems would be unfairly
> > penalized otherwise because of oom conditions elsewhere; an extreme
> > example could unfairly kill all other applications on the system if a
> > single task in a user's cpuset sets itself to OOM_DISABLE and then uses
> > more memory than allowed.
>
> OK, so Nick's change didn't anticipate things being set to OOM_DISABLE?
>
> OOM_DISABLE seems pretty dangerous really - allows malicious
> unprivileged users to go homicidal?

Just clarify.

David's patch have following Pros/Cons.

Pros
	- 1/8 badness was inaccurate and a bit unclear why 1/8.
	- Usually, almost processes don't change their cpuset mask
	  in their life time. then, cpuset_mems_allowed_intersects()
	  is so so good heuristic.

Cons
	- But, they can change CPUSET mask. we can't assume
	  cpuset_mems_allowed_intersects() return always correct
	  memory usage.
	- The task may have mlocked page cache out of CPUSET mask.
	  (probably they are using cpuset.memory_spread_page, perhaps)

I don't think this is OOM_DISABLE related issue. I think just heuristic choice
matter. Both approaches have corner case obviously. Then, I asked most
typical workload concern and test result.