Re: [patch -mm 08/18] oom: badness heuristic rewrite

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 08:53:47 +0900
KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 16:10:30 -0700
> Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I've already explained the reason. 1) all-of-rewrite patches are
> > > always unacceptable. that's prevent our code maintainance.
> >
> > No, we'll sometime completely replace implementations.  There's no hard
> > rule apart from "whatever makes sense".  If wholesale replacement makes
> > sense as a patch-presentation method then we'll do that.
> >
> I agree.
>
> IMHO.
>
> But this series includes both of bug fixes and new features at random.
> Then, a small bugfixes, which doens't require refactoring, seems to do that.
> That's irritating guys (at least me) because it seems that he tries to sneak
> his own new logic into bugfix and moreover, it makes backport to distro difficult.
> I'd like to beg him separate them into 2 series as bugfix and something new.

Sure, bugfixes should come separately and first.  For a number of
reasons:

- people (including the -stable maintainers) might want to backport them

- we might end up not merging the larger, bugfix-including patches at all

- the large bugfix-including patches might blow up and need
  reverting.  If we do that, we accidentally revert bugfixes!

Have we identified specifically which bugfixes should be separated out
in this fashion?