Re: [patch -mm 08/18] oom: badness heuristic rewrite

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:23:53 -0700 (PDT)
David Rientjes <rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
>
> > > I'm glad you asked that because some recent conversation has been
> > > slightly confusing to me about how this affects the desktop; this rewrite
> > > significantly improves the oom killer's response for desktop users.  The
> > > core ideas were developed in the thread from this mailing list back in
> > > February called "Improving OOM killer" at
> > > http://marc.info/?t=126506191200004&r=4&w=2 -- users constantly report
> > > that vital system tasks such as kdeinit are killed whenever a memory
> > > hogging task is forked either intentionally or unintentionally.  I argued
> > > for a while that KDE should be taking proper precautions by adjusting its
> > > own oom_adj score and that of its forked children as it's an inherited
> > > value, but I was eventually convinced that an overall improvement to the
> > > heuristic must be made to kill a task that was known to free a large
> > > amount of memory that is resident in RAM and that we have a consistent way
> > > of defining oom priorities when a task is run uncontained and when it is a
> > > member of a memcg or cpuset (or even mempolicy now), even in the case when
> > > it's contained out from under the task's knowledge.  When faced with
> > > memory pressure from an out of control or memory hogging task on the
> > > desktop, the oom killer now kills it instead of a vital task such as an X
> > > server (and oracle, webserver, etc on server platforms) because of the use
> > > of the task's rss instead of total_vm statistic.
> >
> > The above story teach us oom-killer need some improvement. but it haven't
> > prove your patches are correct solution. that's why you got to ask testing way.
> >

> I would consider what I said above, "when faced with memory pressure from
> an out of control or memory hogging task on the desktop, the oom killer
> now kills it instead of a vital task such as an X server because of the
> use of the task's rss instead of total_vm statistic" as an improvement
> over killing X in those cases which it currently does.  How do you
> disagree?

It was you who disagree using RSS for oom killing in the last winter.
By what observation did you change your mind ? (Don't take this as criticism.
I'm just curious.)

My stand point:
I don't like the new interface at all but welcome the concept for using RSS .
And I and my custoemr will never use the new interface other than OOM_DISABLE.
So, I don't say ack nor nack.

Thanks,
-Kame