Re: [patch -mm 08/18] oom: badness heuristic rewrite

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:

> I've already explained the reason. 1) all-of-rewrite patches are
> always unacceptable. that's prevent our code maintainance.

How else would you propose to completely change a heuristic??  By doing it
in steps where the intermediate changes make an absolute mess of it first
and then slowly work toward the end result?

This is a complete rewrite of the badness() heuristic, it introduces a new
userspace interface, oom_score_adj, which it heavily relies upon
(otherwise it'd be impossible to disable oom killing completely for
certain tasks, for example), so naturally that needs to be included.

I've followed your suggestion of splitting out the forkbomb detector into
the next patch, which you don't even have any feedback for either other
than "nack", so what else do you want from me??

Please follow my suggestion that I've repeatedly made: merge the patch
locally and check out the new oom_badness() function and see if there's
anything you're concerned with.  In other words, please actually review
the implementation and design.

 > 2) no justification
> patches are also unacceptable. you need to write more proper patch descriptaion
> at least.

What needs to be included in the patch description that isn't already?  I
think it's intention and implementation is clearly spelled out.

> We don't need pointless suggestion. you only need to fix the patch.

It's a review tip to make it easier to read the patch since the complete
rewrite of oom_badness() is difficult to read in patch form because of the
breaks.