Re: oom killer rewrite

On Tue, 25 May 2010 02:42:14 -0700 (PDT)
David Rientjes <rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 May 2010, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:
>
> > I've pointed out that "normalized" parameter doesn't seem to work well in some
> > situaion (in cluster). I hope you'll have an extra interface as
> >
> > 	echo 3G > /proc/<pid>/oom_indemification
> >
> > to allow users have "absolute value" setting.
> > (If the admin know usual memory usage of an application, we can only
> >  add badness to extra memory usage.)
> >
> > To be honest, I can't fully understand why we need _normalized_ parameter. Why
> > oom_adj _which is now used_ is not enough for setting "relative importance" ?
> >

> The only sane badness heuristic will be one that effectively compares all
> eligible tasks for oom kill in a way that are relative to one another; I'm
> concerned that a tunable that is based on a pure memory quantity requires
> specific knowledge of the system (or memcg, cpuset, etc) capacity before
> it is meaningful.  In other words, I opted to use a relative proportion so
> that when tasks are constrained to cpusets or memcgs or mempolicies they
> become part of a "virtualized system" where the proportion is then used in
> calculation of the total amount of system RAM, memcg limit, cpuset mems
> capacities, etc, without knowledge of what that value actually is.  So
> "echo 3G" may be valid in your example when not constrained to any cgroup
> or mempolicy but becomes invalid if I attach it to a cpuset with a single
> node of 1G capacity.  When oom_score_adj, we can specify the proportion
> "of the resources that the application has access to" in comparison to
> other applications that share those resources to determine oom killing
> priority.  I think that's a very powerful interface and your suggestion
> could easily be implemented in userspace with a simple divide, thus we
> don't need kernel support for it.

I know admins will be able to write a script. But, my point is
"please don't force admins to write such a hacky scripts."

For example, an admin uses an application which always use 3G bytes adn it's
valid and sane use for the application. When he run it on a server with
4G system and 8G system, he has to change the value for oom_score_adj.

One good point of old oom_adj is that it's not influenced by environment.
Then, X-window applications set it's oom_adj to be fixed value.
IIUC, they're hardcoded with fixed value, now.

Even if my customer may use only OOM_DISABLE, I think using oom_score_adj
is too difficult for usual users.

Thanks,
-Kame