Re: oom killer rewrite

On Mon, 24 May 2010, Nick Piggin wrote:

> > > I've been notified that my entire oom killer rewrite has been dropped from
> > > -mm based solely on your feedback.  The problem is that I have absolutely
> > > no idea what issues you have with the changes that haven't already been
> > > addressed (nobody else does, either, it seems).
>
> I had exactly the same issues with the userland kernel API changes and
> the pagefault OOM regression it introduced, which I told you months ago.
> You ignored me, it seems.

No, I didn't ignore you, your comments were specifically addressed with
oom-reintroduce-and-deprecate-oom_kill_allocating_task.patch which only
deprecated the API change and wasn't even scheduled for removal until of
the end of 2011.  So there were no kernel API changes that went
unaddressed, perhaps you just didn't see that patch (I cc'd it to you on
April 27, though).

The pagefault oom behavior can now be changed back since you've converted
all existing architectures to call into the oom killer and not simply kill
current (thanks for that work!).  Previously, there was an inconsistency
amongst architectures in panic_on_oom behavior that we can now unify into
semantics that work across the board.

I've made that change in my latest patch series which I'll be posting
shortly.

Thanks for the feedback!