Re: hugepages will matter more in the future

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> Both Xorg, xterms and firefox have rather huge RSS's on my boxes. (Even a
> phone these days easily has more than 512 MB RAM.) Andrea measured
> multi-percent improvement in gcc performance. I think it's real.

Reality check: he got multiple percent with

 - one huge badly written file being compiled that took 22s because it's
   such a horrible monster.

 - magic libc malloc flags tghat are totally and utterly unrealistic in
   anything but a benchmark

 - by basically keeping one CPU totally busy doing defragmentation.

Quite frankly, that kind of "performance analysis" makes me _less_
interested rather than more. Because all it shows is that you're willing
to do anything at all to get better numbers, regardless of whether it is
_realistic_ or not.

Seriously, guys.  Get a grip. If you start talking about special malloc
algorithms, you have ALREADY LOST. Google for memory fragmentation with
various malloc implementations in multi-threaded applications. Thinking
that you can just allocate in 2MB chunks is so _fundamnetally_ broken that
this whole thread should have been laughed out of the room.

Instead, you guys egg each other on.

Stop the f*cking circle-jerk already.

		Linus