Re: way to allocate memory within a range ?

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, Auguste Mome wrote:

> I'd like to use kmem_cache() system, but need the memory taken from a
> specific range if requested, outside the range otherwise.
> I think about adding new zone and define new GFP flag to either select or
> ignore the zone. Does it sound possible? Then I welcome any hint if you know
> where to add the appropriated test in allocator, how to attach the
> region to the new zone id).
>
> Or slab/slub system is not designed for this, I should forget it and
> opt for another system?

No slab allocator is going to be designed for that other than SLAB_DMA to
allocate from lowmem.  If you don't have need for lowmem, why do you need
memory only from a certain range?  I can imagine it would have a usecase
for memory hotplug to avoid allocating slab that cannot be reclaimed on
certain nodes, but ZONE_MOVABLE seems more appropriate to guarantee such
migration properties.