Re: [patch -mm 4/9 v2] oom: remove compulsory panic_on_oom mode

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

> And basically. memcg's oom means "the usage over the limits!!" and does
> never means "resouce is exhausted!!".
>
> Then, marking OOM to zones sounds strange. You can cause oom in 64MB memcg
> in 64GB system.

ZONE_OOM_LOCKED is taken system-wide because the result of a memcg oom is
that a task will get killed and free memory, so VM_FAULT_OOM doesn't
require any additional killing if we're oom, it should just retry after
the task has exited.  If we remove the zone locking for memcg, it is
possible that pagefaults will race with setting TIF_MEMDIE and two tasks
get killed instead.  I guess that's acceptable considering its just as
likely that the memcg will reallocate to the same limit again and cause
VM_FAULT_OOM to rekill.