Re: [patch V3] lib: GCD: add binary GCD algorithm

On Thu, 2016-04-28 at 19:43 +0800, zengzhaoxiu@xxxxxxx wrote:
> From: Zhaoxiu Zeng <zhaoxiu.zeng@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Because some architectures (alpha, armv6, etc.) don't provide
> hardware division, the mod operation is slow! Binary GCD algorithm
> uses simple arithmetic operations, it replaces division with
> arithmetic shifts, comparisons, and subtractions.
>
> I have compiled successfully with x86_64_defconfig and
> i386_defconfig.

What's the reason for wanting to optimize this and thus have to
maintain (and test) two separate code paths, which is a significant
expense? As far as I can see, gcd() is mosly used in finding optimal
clocks for operations, which is usually done at start of day and not
time critical.

James