Re: [RFC] Move some soc-camera drivers to staging in preparation for removal

Hi Guennadi,

On Monday 22 February 2016 08:11:31 Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2016, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Feb 2016, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> The soc-camera framework is a problem for reusability of sub-device
> >> drivers since those need access to the soc-camera framework. Which
> >> defeats the purpose of the sub-device framework. It is the reason why
> >> we still have a media/i2c/soc-camera directory for subdevs that can
> >> only work with soc-camera.
> >>
> >> Ideally I would like to drop soc-camera completely, but it is still in
> >> use.
> >>
> >> One of the largest users is Renesas with their r-car SoC, but Niklas
> >> Söderlund made a replacement driver that should make it possible to
> >> remove the soc-camera r-car driver, hopefully this year.
> >>
> >> What I would like to do is to move soc-camera drivers that we consider
> >> obsolete to staging, and remove them in 1-2 kernel cycles if nobody
> >> steps up.
> >>
> >> See also this past thread from Guennadi:
> >>
> >> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg89253.html
> >>
> >> And yes, I said in that thread that I was OK with keeping soc-camera
> >> as-is. But it still happens that companies pick this framework for new
> >> devices (the driver for the Tegra K1 for example). It is another reason
> >> besides the reusability issue for remove this framework more
> >> aggressively then I intended originally.
> >
> > Thanks for your proposal. Sure, I'm not holding onto soc-camera just for
> > the sake of it. I'm open to whatever is found useful. As long as all
> > active soc-camera users are happy with it being EOLed and respective
> > drivers either disappearing or having to be transformed to stand-alone
> > ones, I'm fine with that too!
> >
> > Thanks
> > Guennadi
> >
> >> We have the following drivers:
> >>
> >> - pxa_camera for the PXA27x Quick Capture Interface
> >>
> >>   Apparently this architecture still gets attention (see the link to the
> >>   thread above). But it does use vb1 which we really want to phase out
> >>   soon. Does anyone know if this driver still works with the latest
> >>   kernel? Because it is using vb1 it is a strong candidate for removing
> >>   it (or replacing it with something better if someone steps up).
> >>
> >> - mx2_camera: i.MX27 Camera Sensor Interface
> >>
> >>   Have not seen any development since April 2013 (mx2-camera: move
> >>   interface activation and deactivation to clock callbacks by Guennadi).
> >>   No idea if it still works or if it is still in use. Does anyone know?
> >>
> >> - mx3_camera: i.MX3x Camera Sensor Interface
> >>
> >>   Have not seen any development since July 2013 (add support for
> >>   asynchronous subdevice registration by Guennadi). Same as for
> >>   mx2_camera: does it still work? Is it still in use?
> >>
> >> - omap1_camera: OMAP1 Camera Interface
> >>
> >>   It uses vb1, so that's one very good reason for removing it. And as
> >>   far as I know it is unused and likely won't work.
> >>
> >> - sh_mobile_ceu_camera: SuperH Mobile CEU Interface
> >>
> >>   I worked on this, but I know it does function anymore. I'd say that
> [...]

As far as I know Renesas (or at least the kernel upstream team) doesn't care.
The driver is only used on five SH boards, I'd also say it can be removed.

> >> - sh_mobile_csi2: SuperH Mobile MIPI CSI-2 Interface
> >>
> >>   I don't have hardware to test, but I'd be surprised if it still works.
> >>   Can someone test? If it is broken, then it can be moved to staging.

The sh-mobile-csi2 driver is only used by the sh-mobile-ceu-camera driver, so
I'd drop it too.

> >> - rcar_vin: R-Car Video Input (VIN)
> >>
> >>   Will be replaced with a regular driver as mentioned above.
> >>
> >> - atmel-isi: ATMEL Image Sensor Interface (ISI)
> >>
> >>   I believe this is still actively maintained. Would someone be willing
> >>   to convert this? It doesn't look like a complex driver.

That would be nice, I would like to avoid dropping this one.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart